Are all the expenses of a wedding celebration actually worth it?
This is the question that I asked myself this morning, following the listing of expenses that me and My Fiance did last night. Can the hundreds of thousands of pesos that you will spend on your Big Day actually pay for the experience and fun?
I told My Fiance this morning that maybe we could just dress up nicely on our wedding day, and get married in a small chapel. I won't wear a wedding gown, just a nice designer dress. He could wear a designer barong, too. Only our immediate family's allowed to attend the wedding rites, no bridesmaids, no ring bearers, none of that. Just immediate family witnessing the exchange of vows. Immediate family can wear anything that they like.
After the small ceremony we could have a small reception right after. Maybe we can have a nice restaurant (such as Chateau 1771) closed down for lunch, just for us. Close friends are invited for this, of course. I tried to calculate everything in my head and for a maximum of 50 guests, we'll only be spending about 100k, and that's already inclusive of Church fees + food. The designer dress and barong won't matter, we can spend for that separately, besides we can still re-use those so they don't really count.
The thought of having a small wedding is tempting, especially for a practical person like me. But early this afternoon I figured why a lot of brides-to-be still opt for a semi-lavish, if not totally lavish wedding: women are naturally inclined to beautiful things, they naturally like to be the center of attention, they are born wedding coordinators, believe it or not. Nothing excites us women more than planning a very lavish event, especially one that will have us as the STAR. Being queen is every woman's dream.
Friday, 1 December 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi botsie! You know, I could totally relate to this post. I slowed down on my wedding plans because I feel like I'm buying a show with all the stuff I had in mind. The expense is terrible and that's enough to make me do a double (triple... quadruple... quintuple) take. But, on some days, I wake up feeling like a small wedding won't do at all because I will only get married once...and why not just be grand for a once in a lifetime experience...right?
Siiiiigh, I tell you, it's a vicious cycle: one day you wake up and you say "Yes! I will have a grand wedding" and then the next day you say "No! It's not worth it to spend too much for just a day's worth of celebrating."
My friend and I were talking about the same topic...and we noticed that a lot of the people we know who had a year's worth of planning ended up having a very simple, very small wedding. Those who had to wed quickly got more of a wedding, complete with entourage (albeit a poorly planned one). Ironic, isnt it?
I think it's because we have more than enough time to take everything into consideration and think things through.
hey chicken! so true, kabudlay mag weigh. it's like, i want a nice wedding but i will most probably spend quite a hefty sum, maski hambalon ta pa na gamay lang siya. sigh, i wish there was a way to get the best of both worlds, have a real nice wedding but spend 100k max.
Post a Comment